Jesus says, "Little girl, get up!"
Now, all week...I've parked my bicycle in the book of Mark. I'm reading it over and over again. Today's message was one of hope in such a hopeless and desperate situation regarding Jairus' daughter.
The crowd had thrown in the towel. Many said..."She's dead." Others stated, "Why bother?" Some even laughed. That's typically what the world and non-believers say and do. Sometimes, it is what Christians say too. Yet, Jesus told the mother and father...don't listen to them...but, rather...TRUST ME.
I can only imagine how difficult that was to do. Now, I must say that I cracked up as I read further in one translation it says that they where bringing in the casseroles. Must have been Baptists!
They were already grieving over the loss. Today, we would be discussing and ordering flowers as well. They were telling JESUS...He didn't know what He was talking about. Even as believers...we doubt. I know that I do.
Yet, Jesus sent them out. Then, He took the mother and father and his "closest companions" and entered the child's room. I could only wonder what those on the outside were thinking about what was taking place on the inside.
Isn't that the real question? Jesus said, "Little girl...get up!" She did and that's when I saw how something so hopeless, so desperate and that with very little life in it turn into JOY. That's what was taking place inside.
How do I get that conclusion? Because the passage talks about how they were ALL beside themselves with joy. Well, that's not all. Jesus then gave them strict orders not to talk about what took place. Then, He told them...give her something to eat. Interesting! She needed that nourishment afterwards.
I wondered several things about that passage. First, why did Jesus only allow her mother and father or His close companions inside the room? Why did He give strict orders not to tell anyone what had just took place? That's when it hit me!
Those were his inner circle friends who ministered along beside him. He wanted to involve them, intensify their faith and answer that plea in which Jairus had to come to Jesus with. He longed to provide them with a miracle in which they needed. Remember, she was only sick...not dead. Yet, to most of us...we give up on the sick and let them die. Simply move on after the loss.
The second part that is intriguing to me? Jesus was already famous. Most were familiar or knew who HE was...but, few really knew HIM...much less experience HIM in this manner or way. Big difference there! It goes from a familiarity and fame of who Christ is to a personal relationship in and with HIM.
Finally, I remember the words of Dr. Robert Smith from Beeson Divinity University. He said, "Traci...the disciples were always sending the people away from Jesus. We don't simply send people away as much as we move away." I've never forgot his words.
I'm here to say...embrace HIM...in spite of our circumstance. Let's see HIM work a miracle in all of our lives too. I'm really excited over this passage. This story reminds me that He can turn our HOPELESSNESS into sheer joy. What a passage! What a Savior! So, what are you waiting on? Little girl, get up!
No comments:
Post a Comment