If the Old Testament is the New Testament concealed…then the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed. Recently, I have been reading and studying a particular passage in II Kings 6:1-7. It is a familiar story. Yet, very convicting when you ask yourself the question, “What is in the bottom of life’s river that the Lord needs to float up in my life?” Honestly, it could be a number of things as we Balance Life’s Demands. Some of us may be dealing with a health issue, sickness, diet, or proper fitness. Perhaps, we are having problems in our relationships, marriages, or with our children. What about our joy, happiness or growth? Perhaps, struggling to make that eternal or spiritual decision? Only God can help us pinpoint what’s at the bottom. Let’s just label it “X” for now. God can define what “X” is for you.
In this particular passage, there was an “ax” at the bottom of this river. You must read it. Here these men were strategically positioned right where they needed to be. They were Rigorous Students who were transitioning to becoming Righteous Servants based upon the relationship established between their mentor (Elisha) and those mentored (Sons of the prophets). Elisha was setting an example in order for his students to be an example. He began making an investment. After all, someone (Elijah) prior had made an investment in him. They were simply men mentoring other men. That reminds me of Jesus and his disciples. Old Testament revealed!
Next, I discover that reality sets in. These men realize that they must expand their ministry. However, in order to expand - they too must personally invest. So, they make a choice. A good one at that! They sense the urgency to involve others. Jesus did the same thing. He called his disciples to follow him and they did! Then, they rally round to change their homes, communities, villages and eventually the world! The disciples were like the sons of the prophets. They wanted to participate in the building of God’s kingdom. AND? They did. They went out from Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and the outer parts of this world.
These men took personal responsibility. Instead of arguing who would go and work or simply allow Elisha to go alone…they declared, “Let us go and let us make.” They took personal pride and initiative. Now, those words "Let us Make" sounds familiar to what happened in Eden. Could it have been the difference between asking, “Lord, bless us to do this work!” or rather “Lord, allow us to be a part of what you are blessing!” Stephen taught me that lesson. I’m so glad.
My friend, it never fails that when you become busy doing something for the LORD…the enemy begins to wreak havoc. Something goes wrong. Now, let’s remember three things. First, they are right where they need to be. The Lord has strategically placed them. Second, reality hits and they catch the vision. Finally, these men decide they want in on it and become a part of the success. That’s what the disciples did too! (However, not without private challenges and setbacks.)
Notice as you read the passage it states “one man” was affected. Interesting isn’t it? All of them were working! Could it be the very one that asked Elisha to go? Was he tested? There was certainly a problem. His ax handle was detached and it prevented him from building. Then, he is so perplexed that he loses focus and begins to cry. He’s crying that his ax head is lost. So, he begins to offer a plea to Elijah exclaiming how it was borrowed and makes a personal commitment to do something about it! You know, that is what happens when we become detached while building. Progress stops. We lose our focus. We begin to cry. We begin concentrating on what has been left in our hand and what now remains at the bottom of our river. Then, we either chose to make a personal commitment to do something about it or walk away and let it remain.
I’m guilty! I get sidetracked. I forget that I am representative of the wooden handle that has been detached from the strong iron. Quickly, I lose strength and power. The question is - do I want it back bad enough or do I simply allow it to remain in the river? This man certainly had a plan and he was committed to it. So, he asked for help. This ax had value - not only for himself, but also to the owner.
Honestly, I think that is how Jesus seen his disciples. At times, they too were disconnected. Yet, he looked past their humanity and valued their worth. Now, I didn't say He looked passed our sins. No, Jesus died for those so that He could reconcile our matters too. He understood how important these twelve ordinary men were to the owner (God the Father).
Well, thank goodness the story doesn’t end there! Next, we behold the redemption of that which was lost at the bottom of the river. It didn’t come without a personal confrontation though. Elisha asked him where it went and with confrontation comes confession. He showed him the place. Now, he wasn’t angry because it was lost. No, this prophet helped him find it. I love that about God. He knows our condition and confronts us head on asking us the same hard question. Where did you lose it? Show me the place. Talk about a concise plan though! This man was getting ready to witness the power of God in his life. Although, this situation was completely out of his control - it wasn’t out of God’s. God was going to complete that work in which He had already begun. He had the exact same plan and passion with his disciples too. Us too!
Don’t quit on me now…it’s getting better. This man’s participation was critical. He had to reach out, place his hands upon it and grab it out of the river. He’s now identified with this ax and the problem has been reconciled. That which was at the bottom of the river is on top and put to use! He didn’t just walk off and leave it there. No, I imagine he began chopping trees more effectively and efficiently. I love that it says..."HE TOOK HOLD OF IT." It didn't take hold of him.
That’s not the best part of the story though. It was how the object was retrieved. You know, God is always concerned with the smallest details. Elisha used a stick to save and retrieve that that was lost. Old Testament revealed! Christ used the cross to rescue that that was lost and detached from the Master's hand. And isn’t it great what happens when the stick hits the water, which is symbolic of the Holy Spirit? Once the connection is made - the ax ascends! He was personally involved in the process. After all, he was responsible for the ax.
What an incredible lesson! A miracle has taken place. The glory of God is revealed. This son of a prophet has transformed from a student with a simple head knowledge of God into a servant with a heart knowledge and deep experience of God. Again, this was based upon the relationship established between his mentor! So, I end with this question? What’s at the bottom of your river that God can transform you from being just a student to an exceptional servant? Do you know Him? Or if you already do...do you long to simply know Him better?
Xxooxx
Traci
In this particular passage, there was an “ax” at the bottom of this river. You must read it. Here these men were strategically positioned right where they needed to be. They were Rigorous Students who were transitioning to becoming Righteous Servants based upon the relationship established between their mentor (Elisha) and those mentored (Sons of the prophets). Elisha was setting an example in order for his students to be an example. He began making an investment. After all, someone (Elijah) prior had made an investment in him. They were simply men mentoring other men. That reminds me of Jesus and his disciples. Old Testament revealed!
Next, I discover that reality sets in. These men realize that they must expand their ministry. However, in order to expand - they too must personally invest. So, they make a choice. A good one at that! They sense the urgency to involve others. Jesus did the same thing. He called his disciples to follow him and they did! Then, they rally round to change their homes, communities, villages and eventually the world! The disciples were like the sons of the prophets. They wanted to participate in the building of God’s kingdom. AND? They did. They went out from Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria and the outer parts of this world.
These men took personal responsibility. Instead of arguing who would go and work or simply allow Elisha to go alone…they declared, “Let us go and let us make.” They took personal pride and initiative. Now, those words "Let us Make" sounds familiar to what happened in Eden. Could it have been the difference between asking, “Lord, bless us to do this work!” or rather “Lord, allow us to be a part of what you are blessing!” Stephen taught me that lesson. I’m so glad.
My friend, it never fails that when you become busy doing something for the LORD…the enemy begins to wreak havoc. Something goes wrong. Now, let’s remember three things. First, they are right where they need to be. The Lord has strategically placed them. Second, reality hits and they catch the vision. Finally, these men decide they want in on it and become a part of the success. That’s what the disciples did too! (However, not without private challenges and setbacks.)
Notice as you read the passage it states “one man” was affected. Interesting isn’t it? All of them were working! Could it be the very one that asked Elisha to go? Was he tested? There was certainly a problem. His ax handle was detached and it prevented him from building. Then, he is so perplexed that he loses focus and begins to cry. He’s crying that his ax head is lost. So, he begins to offer a plea to Elijah exclaiming how it was borrowed and makes a personal commitment to do something about it! You know, that is what happens when we become detached while building. Progress stops. We lose our focus. We begin to cry. We begin concentrating on what has been left in our hand and what now remains at the bottom of our river. Then, we either chose to make a personal commitment to do something about it or walk away and let it remain.
I’m guilty! I get sidetracked. I forget that I am representative of the wooden handle that has been detached from the strong iron. Quickly, I lose strength and power. The question is - do I want it back bad enough or do I simply allow it to remain in the river? This man certainly had a plan and he was committed to it. So, he asked for help. This ax had value - not only for himself, but also to the owner.
Honestly, I think that is how Jesus seen his disciples. At times, they too were disconnected. Yet, he looked past their humanity and valued their worth. Now, I didn't say He looked passed our sins. No, Jesus died for those so that He could reconcile our matters too. He understood how important these twelve ordinary men were to the owner (God the Father).
Well, thank goodness the story doesn’t end there! Next, we behold the redemption of that which was lost at the bottom of the river. It didn’t come without a personal confrontation though. Elisha asked him where it went and with confrontation comes confession. He showed him the place. Now, he wasn’t angry because it was lost. No, this prophet helped him find it. I love that about God. He knows our condition and confronts us head on asking us the same hard question. Where did you lose it? Show me the place. Talk about a concise plan though! This man was getting ready to witness the power of God in his life. Although, this situation was completely out of his control - it wasn’t out of God’s. God was going to complete that work in which He had already begun. He had the exact same plan and passion with his disciples too. Us too!
Don’t quit on me now…it’s getting better. This man’s participation was critical. He had to reach out, place his hands upon it and grab it out of the river. He’s now identified with this ax and the problem has been reconciled. That which was at the bottom of the river is on top and put to use! He didn’t just walk off and leave it there. No, I imagine he began chopping trees more effectively and efficiently. I love that it says..."HE TOOK HOLD OF IT." It didn't take hold of him.
That’s not the best part of the story though. It was how the object was retrieved. You know, God is always concerned with the smallest details. Elisha used a stick to save and retrieve that that was lost. Old Testament revealed! Christ used the cross to rescue that that was lost and detached from the Master's hand. And isn’t it great what happens when the stick hits the water, which is symbolic of the Holy Spirit? Once the connection is made - the ax ascends! He was personally involved in the process. After all, he was responsible for the ax.
What an incredible lesson! A miracle has taken place. The glory of God is revealed. This son of a prophet has transformed from a student with a simple head knowledge of God into a servant with a heart knowledge and deep experience of God. Again, this was based upon the relationship established between his mentor! So, I end with this question? What’s at the bottom of your river that God can transform you from being just a student to an exceptional servant? Do you know Him? Or if you already do...do you long to simply know Him better?
Xxooxx
Traci
1 comment:
Traci- Oh My Goodness! I have wondered what happened to you since we were at Gwinnett Hall together. I'm Lori Johnson, we had several classes together.
I have to tell you that I was flipping the TV channel this morning and came across Babbie's House and there you were. I always knew that you would do something wonderful for the Lord.
My husband and I are on furlough. We have been in Hamilton, Montana starting a church. We are in Auburn, GA at this time. We are waiting on the Lord to get us back to where our hearts are at - the Bitterroot Valley in Western Montana.
I'll be praying for you and your ministry. May the Lord Bless You!
Post a Comment